Carrying kerosene or gasoline to cook food on your camping trip can truly be a hassle. It adds to the weight you are carrying and it also occupies greater space.
To cook yummy food during your camping trips, camping wood stoves come in handy. This is because, camping wood stoves function by burning wood.
Wood ends up being free because you can pick pieces from your camp site or from the area that you are camping at. Also, going to pick pieces of wood with your camping partners is a great experience.
What makes the camping wood stove more useful on a camping trip?
|Efficiency||The camping wood stove functions more efficiently as compared to others. Minimal effort is required and the food is also cooked fast and even.|
|Lightweight||The camping wood stoves are mostly lightweight when compared with other kinds of stoves. They don’t come with large gasoline tanks. Hence, they are lighter.|
|Portability||They are also very easy to transport or to carry on your camping trips because they are smaller in size and occupy less space. There are some that are quite heavy as well but the portable and lightweight ones are quite common.|
What are camping wood stoves be used for?
As we all know that camping wood stoves are mostly used for cooking food. However, they are pretty versatile. They have more than one use.
|Heating tents||The camping wood stoves function as heaters as well. During cold days and nights, they can be used to keep the tents warm. More wood can be added to keep the stoves going for a longer period of time.|
|Boiling or Warming Water||At times, you may need water to be warm or boiling. You can use warm water for washing hands or even for making tea or coffee. The camping wood stoves will make sure that boiling water is available for you.|
|Cooking||As we mentioned earlier, one of the major purposes of the camping wood stove is to cook food. They can be used to cook meat that you have hunted during your camping trip. Or, you can cook the food that you have brought from home.|
|Drying objects that may be wet||The stoves end up being handy in drying things such as wet socks, wet gloves or other things that may be wet.|
It is now time to move on to the best camping wood stoves. We are sure that you will really like them.
Serrated cross stand: The serrated cross stand ensures stability of the stove. Even during a windy weather, the stove maintains its stability.
Check on Amazon
Top 10 Best Camping Wood Stoves
After looking at the camping stoves, now let’s have a look at the buying considerations and frequently asked questions as well.
- Product Dimensions: 5.3 x 5.3 x 5.3 inches
- Item Weight: 12.8 ounces
- 3-arm base support: This camping wood stove comes with the 3-arm base support. It keeps the stove in place and makes sure that remains stable even on windy days.
- Mesh carry bag: This lightweight yet compact stove comes with a mesh carry bag with which carrying it becomes quite easy. You can just sling it and it will be set for use when needed.
- Environmentally friendly: This stove doesn’t require gasoline or other fuel cannister hence it doesn’t leave any harmful chemicals in the environment.
- Space saving design
- Made with stainless steel
- Easy to set up
- The legs may not be very strong
First up, we have a super compact and lightweight stainless steel camping wood stove. With its lightweight and compactness, it becomes the perfect stove for camping trip because of easy transportation. The fuel for this stove is of course wood, but you can use twigs, leaves and even pine cones as fuel.
We highly recommend this camping stove for its efficiency, compactness and safety.
This camping wood stove is versatile, it can act as a stove or just a small fireplace that you can sit around when cold. The only thing that may be not liked about this stove is that its legs may note be very strong. They may end up bending.
- Product Dimensions: 3.66 x 2.98 x 0.71 inches
- Item Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Rust-proof: This camping stove is made with high-quality stainless-steel, hence, it is rust proof and will last for a longer period of time.
- Storage bag: It comes with a storage bag in which you can easily carry it.
- Easy Installation: The stove can be installed within 20 seconds. It can then be used for various purposes including cooking and boiling water.
- Sturdy: The stainless-steel used in this stove is high-quality which is why it becomes very sturdy.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to install
- Does not show full efficiency when twigs are used as fuel
The Lixada camping stove is available in different sizes. According to your need, you can pick the most appropriate size. What we love the most about this stove is its compact yet simple design. The simple design allows you to get the fire going quicker. So, you are able to cook the food faster. It is not a super heavy or hard to handle stove so it will end up being your best buddy during your camping trips.
The stove has a durable construction along with a sturdy structure. It can be used multiple times. It is also suitable for a one-day hiking trip because of its compact size. The only thing that you may not like about this stove is that it doesn’t give maximum efficiency when twigs and leaves are used as fuel. It is recommended to use hard and dry wood for maximum efficiency.
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 5.5 x 3.35 inches
- Item Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Grill: This stove comes with a grill on top which can be used for barbecuing. Of course, no camping trip is complete without a good BBQ.
- Serrated cross stand: The serrated cross stand ensures stability of the stove. Even during a windy weather, the stove maintains its stability.
- Double-wall structure: The unique double wall structure ensures stronger gasification.
- Foldable: The great thing about this is that it has a foldable design. So, you can make it more compact by folding it. the transportation becomes even more easy.
- No chemical emissions
- Sturdy construction
- Less smoke production
- Solid body
- Burns efficiently
- The installation has three steps
The TOMSHOO camping stove is known for its safety and double wall structure. Its shape and structure are pretty convenient, they are designed according to the need of the user. The great thing about this camping stove is that it produces less smoke and it also serves different purposes to the user. This stove doesn’t have to be strictly used for cooking only.
This camping stove is one of the bests because it creates lesser as compared to others. However, the only thing that people may not like that its installation has three steps. Even though it is pretty quick.
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 5.5 x 3.35 inches
- Item Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Suitable with various fuels: Dry and hard wood is recommended for greater efficiency but this stove can use grass, twigs, leaves and even pinecones as a source of fuel.
- Easily collapsible: The stove is smaller in size and is easily collapsible hence the transportation becomes very easy.
- Cuboid design: The cuboid design adds to the stability of the stove.
- Easy set up
- Comes with a carry bag
- Grill on top
- Easy to open and close front door
- It comes with a plastic film which is hard to remove
Here we have a uniquely shaped camping wood stove. It comes with a front door in which you can place the wood and twigs and then it will be ready to function. It has a pretty easy set up. All you need to do is open the door and then place the wood and other natural fuels such as leaves or twigs and then once the wood starts burning, this camping stove will cook the food or boil the water.
The only thing that may not be appreciated much is that the stove has a plastic protective film on top of it which may be toxic and may be hard to remove.
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 10.25 x 11 inches
- Item Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Stove pipe vent: This stove comes with a stove pipe vent so it is perfect for using inside the tent. It will keep the tent warm while keeping the some away.
- Spark arrestor: To ensure greater safety, this stove comes with a spark arrestor.
- Air flow regulators: The air flow regulators help in cooking the food evenly.
- Modern and durable
- Easy access to the ash
- Removable side cooking tubes
- Quite heavy as compared to others
Here we have a more modern and advanced version of a camping wood stove. It includes a bunch of features that make it a perfect option for camping. Whether you want to cook food, whether you want dry some wet things or whether you want heat inside of the tent, this wood stove will do all the jobs for you.
TMS camping wood stove is one of the bests. It is multi-functional, modern and high-performance. The only drawback of this of camping wood stove is that it is quite heavy. You will need a car for transporting it. it is certainly not suitable for backpacking.
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 5.5 x 6.25 inches
- Item Weight: 14 ounces
- 5-panel design: This stove has a five-panel design and it quickly packs down to less than 6 x 6 inches. Hence, it can be easily slide into a backpack.
- Sleeve: It comes with a waxed canvas sleeve.
- HD 304 stainless steel: The HD 304 stainless steel ensures durability and stability of the stove.
- Supports cast iron pots
- Simple assembly
- Becomes flat
- The edges are sharp
Don’t want to spend a lot of money on a camping wood stove? If yes, then the stoker flatpack stove is one of the best options for you because of its affordable price and awesome functioning.
You will be quite surprised with its amazing functioning. However, just be careful about its sharp edges.
- Product Dimensions: 11.4 x 7.95 x 8.66 inches
- Item Weight: 23.1 pounds
- Detachable parts: Even though this stove is quite heavy as compared to others, it becomes easier to transport it because of its detachable parts.
- High-heat output: With the high-heat output, the stove becomes capable of warming up a space.
- Uses natural fuel: Leaves, wood, twigs and even wood chips can be used to cook with it.
- Collapsible legs
- Chimney pipes
- Easy to carry
- Slightly difficult to assemble
Looking for a heavy-duty wood stove that comes with chimney pipes? If yes, then this one is great for you. It is a multi-functional stove that can be used as a heater for tents or even tiny houses as well. If you are travelling to a nearby hut or a small accommodation then you can carry this stove for heating purposes. It will keep your space warm and you can also cook food or boil water according to your need.
One thing that needs to be highlighted is that this wood stove is not pretty easy to assemble like other cooking stoves. But once it is assembled, it does the job in a very smooth manner.
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 10 x 17 inches
- Item Weight: 22 pounds
- Accessories: It comes with a number of accessories that ensure the convenience of the user. Some of them include chimney pipes, racks, damper tool and carrying case as well.
- Heat output adjustment: With the help of a door damper that can be adjusted, the heat output can be adjusted.
- Steel-construction: This stove has a heavy-duty steel construction hence; it becomes quite durable and reliable.
- Suitable for all kinds of outdoor activities
- Easy to pack
- Non-rattle case
- Expensive as compared to others
Here we have another wood burning camping stove. It is available in two different sizes so you can pick out the one that meets your need. It is a versatile and multi-functional stove that ends up being perfect for hiking, camping or other outdoor activities. All you need to do is load is with wood. Dry wood is highly recommended and once the fire is going, you will be able to easily cook the food.
Just keep in mind that it is expensive when compared with other camping wood stoves.
- Product Dimensions: 15.75 x 9.85 x 9.85 inches
- Item Weight: 37.9 pounds
- High-heat output: It keeps the tents or small houses warm. It also comes with a tempered glass window with which you can watch the fire going.
- Double firebox wall: The double firebox wall makes sure that the fire keeps going for a long period of time.
- Collapsible legs: The collapsible legs make the stove portable but they also add to the durability.
- Clean combustion
- Comes with a stainless-steel grill
- You can cook almost everything on it
- Quite heavy as compared to others
This is another heavy duty yet compact camping wood stove. It has a high heat output and is great for keeping tents or tiny houses warm. We love the fact that it has an extra-large cooking space and the hot plate on top is removable. This stove gives you a variety of cooking options. It is highly recommended for families who go camping together. Since, this stove provides a large area for cooking, you can easily cook food for you and your family members. No more cooking in batches. Also, you can grill and BBQ, so the cooking options are so many.
It is not suitable for backpacking. Since it is quite heavy, it has to be transported through a car.
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 7.5 x 12.2 inches
- Item Weight: 15.35 pounds
- Heat-resistant paint: Unlike many other camping stoves, this one is well-built and has heat-resistant paint which lasts for a long while.
- Chimney pipes: The chimney pipes are perfect for the purpose of keeping the tent and tiny houses warm.
- Damper tool: The damper tool allows you to adjust the heat according to your need.
- Comes with heat-resistant glass
- Provides convenience to the user
- Suitable for heating and cooking both
- Bigger and heavier
At last, we have the OKL tent camping stove. It has the capability of adjusting the heat output. So, you can adjust it according to your need. It is suitable for cooking in the outdoors and you can even keep small spaces warm with it. We highly recommend it for camping in areas that are colder. In comparison to other camping stoves, this one is more versatile because it allows multiple functions. You can even keep it inside your tent to ensure warmth.
To some up everything that has been stated so far, we’d like to mention that this stove is high-performance, modern, efficient and most of all easy to use. However, some people may not like the fact that it is heavier and big in size as compared to other camping stoves that are available.
Buying Considerations for the Best Camping Wood Stoves:
First of all, the size of the camping wood stove has to be considered. The wood stoves come in varying sizes.
Some are designed for the purpose of only one person’s use, some are designed for the use of multiple individuals. So, depending upon the need, the size of the stove can be picked out.
Then comes weight. The weight of the camping wood stove is an important consideration. This is mainly because, the heavier the stove, the harder it becomes to carry it.
If you are taking a car or truck on your camping trip then you don’t really have to worry about the weight of the stove. However, if you intend to go backpacking then you will certainly need a stove that is lightweight and is easy to carry.
Also, some of the lightweight stoves may not work well because they may not be stable enough. So, make sure that if you are getting a lightweight stove, then it should be stable.
Then comes the material. The material of the stove should be high-quality. Obviously, the camping stove would be exposed to heat and fire for quite some time.
So, the material should be able to withstand the heat. Otherwise, it will end up being broken. There are some stoves that are made with high-quality stainless steel and there are some others that are made with other stronger materials. Heat-resistant paint also adds to the durability of the stoves.
You must consider the compactness of the camping wood stove. The less compact the stove is, the greater space it will occupy and it will be harder to carry.
Make sure that your camping stove is collapsible or it should have a foldable design, this way, it will become compact. Once it is compact, it becomes portable as well.
You can easily carry it from one place to another. Having a compact camping stove is always a plus because then you don’t have to worry about it its transportation.
A carry bag of the stove is also a must. A carry bag or box makes it pretty easy to carry. A carry bag comes in very handy for people who are going backpacking.
They can just attach the carry bag to their backpack and they will be all good to go. Also, the carry bag keeps all the pieces of the stove safe.
Some camping wood stoves are pretty easy to assemble and install. All you need is to put the pieces together and then use the natural fuel such as wood, twigs, leaves and even pine cones to have the stove running.
However, there are some that have multiple installation steps because of the number of pieces. So, they may take a longer period of time to be functional.
So, while you are buying a camping wood stove, make sure that you get one that is easy to assemble and install.
Most of the camping wood stoves are multi-functional. They can be used for cooking, warming food, boiling water, drying wet items and even for keeping the tent warm.
However, not all of them are capable of doing all the jobs. Some are only good for cooking, while others can do other functions too.
The camping wood stoves that come with chimney pipes are the most suitable for keeping tents warm because they can keep the smoke away while ensuring warmth.
Just like every other item, the price of the camping stoves varies. The particular reasons for this circumstance, some of them are built with higher quality materials, offer a variety of different features, and are more modern as compared to the others.
You can find camping wood stoves for under $100 and some of them are for more than $100. So, evaluate your need and budget to make a suitable choice.
Adjustable Heat Output
There are quite a few different camping wood stoves that have adjustable heat output. With a damper tool, the users can adjust the output of the heat according to their choice.
Lastly, one of the most important considerations when buying a camping wood stove is the stability.
The camping wood stove can end up being very dangerous if it is not stable. Fires can be caused around the surrounding areas if the stove loses stability.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can a camping wood stove be placed inside of a tent?
The answer to this question is yes and no both. Yes, in the case, where the woodstove has a chimney and the tents are made of canvas or polycotton. If the tent is made of some other material then you need to make sure that it has an opening for the chimney pipe.
The answer is no, in the case where the stove doesn’t have a chimney pipe and the material of the tent is not able to withstand the heat. Lack of chimney pipe leads to a lot of smoke. You can put a typical wood stove inside the tent but just make sure that you put it for a short period of time.
Is it possible to put too much wood in the wood stove?
Yes, it is definitely possible. If you put too much wood in the stove you are basically overloading it. Overloading of the wood stove leads to over fire.
This way, the food being cooked can end up burning. In order to have a moderate fire, it is essential to not over load the woodstove with fire.
Can you burn wet wood in the wood stove?
Burning wet wood is not recommended mainly because it takes so much longer to burn.
Also, the byproducts produced by burning wet wood are not environmentally friendly as well. Excess moisture leads to greater production of smoke and creosote; hence, incomplete combustion takes place.
So, instead of using wet wood, it is recommended that you use dry wood or other things such as wood chips, twigs, and even pine cones.
Are all camping wood stoves portable?
Yes, most of them are portable because they are collapsible and also have a foldable design. They may be heavy but most of them can be folded. So, transportation becomes quite easy.
Some of the camping wood stoves are super lightweight. They can easily be packed into a backpack when you go backpacking. There are a few which might be heavy so they can only be transported through a car.
Are camping wood stoves affordable?
Yes, when camping wood stoves are compared with other stoves then the camping wood stoves end up being more affordable. You can easily find some of them for under $50.
If you have a limited budget but need a stove for camping then camping wood stoves are a great option. There are some that can be slightly expensive but mostly they are all pretty affordable. There are plenty of options under $100.
The great thing is that they are durable as well. So, it’s not like you are getting something ephemeral. The investment will definitely be worth it.
It is not always possible to carry huge canisters of fuel along with camping stoves.
Hence, the most suitable option ends up being camping wood stoves mainly because they function on natural fuels such as wood, twigs, leaves, and even pine cones. Natural fuels are free and you also don’t have to carry them all the way from your home.
In the article, we picked out the best of the best camping wood stoves so that you can get your hands on one for your next camping trip.
We hope that this article was helpful for you. We wish you best of luck!